Historic event: 08/03/1998
weezer.com interviews pat & mikey
summer 1998 interview with pat wilson and mikey welsh of weezer
we asked pat & mikey from weezer to give the inside scoop on what was up with them. here's what we got back. we hope you find them entertaining. photo by wilson. interview by anuj, dan, and jeremy
27 questions with mikey welsh--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) is your birthname mikey or did it just "catch
no , um.. my birthname is michael. it just caught on. it's catchy.
2) how was it playing for a solo artist and not
really being recognized as part of a band but part of HER band?
i'm obviously much happier being in weezer which is a real band. but as far
as playing with julianna i did my own thing anyway and wasn't self concious
2.5) what kind of instruments do you play?
3) how many tattoos do you have? what are they?
which was your first?
a lot. tatoos. the one on the inside of my right forearm.
4) any plans to tattoo the other weezers while they
sleep and/or after you have drugged them?
5) what kind of bass and bass amp do you have?
black bass. big amp.
6) nerd glasses or sunglasses?
7) leather, vinyl, demin, or cotton?
8) metal or pop?
i just found out about this new thing called "grunge".
9) New York, Chicago, Seattle, or Los Angeles?
10) favorite bands (name them)
goat punishment, fried air and southern fried swing
11) favorite weezer song (not counting songs to
be on the next record)
12) how many weezers does it take to screw in a
what is the sound of one hand clapping?
13) how many people did you beat out for the position
of bassist in weezer? how did you get in?
349......i baked a pie and planted some corn and indian leg wrestled duff mckagen
14 ) what albums would you take to a desert island?
the best of chet baker sings and slint- spiderland and all the other cds ever
15) favorite pickup line
do you have a mirror in your ass? why? cuz i can see myself in your pants
16) what's your take on this whole "weezer" thing?
it totally sucks and is a big bummer
17) do you write songs or have any other bands (this
is a re-occuring theme in=w=)?
18) have you done tours? what do you think of them?
i've done many tours since i was 19. i love touring
19) favorite star wars figure:
21) were you a =w= fan prior to joining up?
20) how far along are you in learning the bands
songs (which ones) ? do you think the band is working under a newer vibe with
you? do you have imput on the songs & such?
i know all the old songs- according to pat the band has a newer and better vibe. yes we all do.
21) anything you would like to mention to =w= fanclubbers/ online fans etc.?
here: have you ever heard the bevis frond?
22) which actor/actress would play you in "weezer:<br> the movie?"
23) favorite michael jackson song:
rock with you
24) did you ever have a crush on princess leia? or do you still...
25) what is your beer of choice? (or any other
newcastle brown ale
26) you are stranded on a deserted island with no
food, along with pat, rivers and brian. who would you eat first, and why.
i'd save pat for the end for the good conversation
27) general bio questions: where born, where schooled
born in syracuse ny. the school of hard knocks
29 earth-shaking questions with patrick wilson--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. where and when were you born?
buffalo ny feb 1 1969
2. what were you like in high school? metalhead?
troublemaker. smart ass. occasionally funny
3. favorite food?
4. what other bands have you played in..during high
a band called bush a band called 60 wrong sausages a band called fuzz.
5. which instruments do you know how to play, and
which one do you consider your best..or you enjoy playing the most?
i know how to play drums bass and guitar. i like the guitar even though the potential for evil is the greatest.
6. which bands influenced you most when you were
van halen devo led zeppelin
7. what are you currently listening to?
talk talk classical jazz
8. which bands have had an influence on your music
the smiths the minutemen cardinal
9. overall, what do you think of living on a bus
while you are touring? do you despise it, enjoy it or accept it as part of your
i love it. try living in a van instead.
10. what's the strangest thing that has happened
to you while on stage?
purposely playing bad in japan with matt and people still clapping.
11. how do you think geffen has treated the band
12. do you think/hope that there will be more cooperation
in the writing of the next =w= album?
well, usually the guy who sings is the guy who writes so i don't anticipate anyone but rivers singing their songs.
13. do you wish that weezer was able to work together
for a greater portion of the year, or are you happy with all the extra time
you have to pursue other projects?
currently i am enjoying concentrating on the sg.
14. how do
you think videos affect the interpretation of your songs? For example, a listener
can hear a song like buddy holly and have it have a personal meaning. but, once
they see a video, especially such a popular one (like buddy holly), they can't
help but think of happy days and the video.
well, as i understand it, the elements of something you create are form, content
and context. the characteristics and importance of all of these are endlessly
debated so i guess you ultimately take away what you want to from something.
videos take away some mystery but also may enrich the idea of what the band
is about. i suppose if you remember more about the feeling of the video for
buddy holly than the recording itself, then perhaps you were sold more on spike's
idea of the song than rivers idea. when you guys make a video, are you trying
for a visual representation of the song, or are you just finding a fun way to
present the song? i'm trying to not be embarrassed of the final product.
15. Do you think we'll ever see Puff Daddy in a
future Weezer video, or perhaps even as the producer of the next album?
i think it's more likely that we will produce his record.
16. do you have any hobbies you take part in whenever
you are at home?
17. star wars, star trek or babylon 5?
star trek. i am so against star wars now cuz matt and rivers romanticized it
so much. and also cuz it got so bad towards the end there.
18. who is your favorite star wars character, and
which one do you most remind others of?
i like han solo but because i am so wise and noble i remind people of obi wan.
19. in your younger, single days, did you have a
crush on princess leia?
no but she was kind of sexy serving up those cocktails on jabba's cruiser.
20. what character have you been cast as in the
the fabled horn maker Blint from planet fronstigik
21. what did you think about the special editions?
shameless, successful , irritating. unimpressive digital editing.
22. when the mt fuji festival got cancelled, how
did you spend your spare time? i'veread stories of other bands having water
gun fights at the hotel and stuff like that...what did you do?
matt and karl and i went to the seven eleven and bought fireworks and set them
off behing the hotel.
23. if you don't think this is too personal, how
did you meet jen?
on a blind date.
24. you have a bucket of macaroni, a toothbrush,
3 pogs, a cd (of your choosing) and a hypodermic needle. what do you do with
i juggle them while singing fiona apple songs.
25. what is your favorite "rock star sin" (alcohol,
drugs, women etc...)
26. favorite michael jackson song
anything from off the wall
27. were you shocked to find out Liberace was gay?
28. what is your stance on agression... like...
are you a pacifist and couldnt care less about what the government does, or
are you concerned about the safety of the american people?
i have an aggressive stance on aggression. it calls for an aggressive aggressiveness
when dealing with aggression.
29. better show: full house or family matters?
tie for last
30. does the 'special goodness' stand for what i
think it does?
of course. but only to you.