The Work of Director Spike Jonze
|It has been suggested that this page or section be moved to or merged with Spike Jonze. (discuss)|
|The Work of Director Spike Jonze|
|Music video by Spike Jonze|
|Released||October 28, 2003|
The Work of Director Spike Jonze is, as the title indicates, a compilation of the seminal director's music video efforts.
As part of Palm Pictures' Director's Label series, The Work of Spike Jonze preserves what many feel to be some of the best music videos ever produced. Jonze had developed quite a reputation during the 90s as the go-to guy for quality videos that stand out from the crowd. Early triumphs for the photographer-turned-director include The Beastie Boys' "Sabotage", and Weezer's "Buddy Holly".
Jonze has since moved on to features, beginning with 1999's Being John Malkovich, and including 2002's Adaptation(for which Jonze asked Weezer to record a cover of The Turtle's "Happy Together" that went unused), and the upcoming interpretation of the classic children's book Where The Wild Things Are.
Released over six months prior to Video Capture Device, the collection contains "Buddy Holly" and "Undone", marking the first DVD releases of these two videos. It also includes exclusive audio commentary by the band.
The package includes a fifty-two page color book, with Spike's photographs, drawings and an interview.
- "California" - Wax (not to be confused with The Rentals' song)
- "Sure Shot" - Beastie Boys
- "Drop" - The Pharcyde
- "Cannonball" - The Breeders
- "Sabotage" - Beastie Boys
- "Da Funk" - Daft Punk
- "What's Up Fatlip" - Fatlip
- "Undone - The Sweater Song" - Weezer
- "Praise You" - Fatboy Slim
- "Feel the Pain" - Dinosaur Jr.
- "If I Only Had a Brain" - MC 900ft Jesus
- "Sky's the Limit" - The Notorious B.I.G.
- "Weapon Of Choice" - Fatboy Slim
- "Buddy Holly" - Weezer
- "Elektrobank" - The Chemical Brothers
- "It's Oh So Quiet" - Bjork
- The Interviews - musicians discuss the music videos
- Making Of "Drop" with the Pharcyde - interviews and behind-the-scenes
- Audio Commentaries - Fatboy Slim, Weezer, The Pharcyde, Daft Punk, The Chemical Brothers, Bjork, Christopher Walken, Puffy and more
- Special Beastie Boys commentary on a selection of the videos
- How They Get There - a short film with Mark Gonzales
- Mark Paints - another short film with Mark Gonzales
- The Oasis Video That Never Happened
- Rockafella Skank - Richard Koufey's audition tape for Fatboy Slim
- The Woods - a short film excerpt from Mouse, a Girl Skateboards film
- "Praise You" - live at the 1999 MTV Video Music Awards
- What's Up Fatlip?
- Amarillo By Morning
- Torrance Rises