Karl's Corner - 11/25/2001
11/25/01 rollin into San Anton'...
...day off! actually for most of the day we were all still rolling in from Phoenix, arriving in San Antonio about 5 PM. The nearby Riverwalk provided grub and goofiness for members of Jimmy Eat World, The 'D', and weez, as the various establishments provided food and drink in exchange for our 'per diems' (as Rivers wrote in '95, a "per diem" is Latin for "$20 bill"). Later, Pat and I whipped up a new Southern Fried Swing ensemble, in our never ending quest to record something funny that other people actually find funny. Then it was back to work for this rteporter, as some others took in a Rev. Horton Heat show.
...for those in the 'A-V club' (to "join", click on "Audio-Video", above), there are some hot Long Beach tracks up now. Also, 2 more 'band approved' summer 2000 songs are available on the "SS2K" site.
...(updated) The Photograph (and other weez songs) Radio Report: across the country, people have been writing in with their stories of whats up on the radio in their area. Right now, "Photograph", now in its 4th week on the Modern Rock charts, has cracked the top 20, hitting #20 this week! This activity is mostly thanks to you and your requests! Here's where you guys have been hearing it so far...
- Tulsa's 104.5, Iowa's 105.1 kccq, Sacramento's KWOD 106.5 (#4 requested!), Grand Rapids' WGRD 97.9, LA's KROQ (#17 most played), Seattle's 107.7 (consistently in the Top 10 Peoples Choice Countdown, hit #1 recently), Charlotte, NC's 106.5 The End ("Budlight Spotlight"), St. Louis's 93.3x, St Louis' 105.7 The Point (won the cage match an unknown number of nights), Chicago's 94.7 The Zone,
- added 11/5: Chicago's Q101 (playing "photograph" now, not to mention Undone, IITS, and Hash Pipe on a consistant basis), Richmond VA's Y 101,
- added 11/6: Lansing's 92.1 The Edge, Boise Idaho's 100.3 the X., Springfield Mass.'s, Laser 99.3, SF's Live105.3 (at #12 on it's most played list!), Channel 104.9 ("photograph" at # 18 "island..." at #5), Lafayette, Louisiana's Planet Radio 96.5 (also still heavy on Hash Pipe), and Columbus, Ohio's CD101 (also still up on "Hash Pipe" and "Island"),
- added 11/7: Dayton, Ohio's 103.9 the X (also IITS, Hash Pipe, and the classics), dallas/fort worth area's 102.1 the edge (and had "extended midget weekends" where they gave away tickets and cds and a ride to the concert in their "short bus" (they took the midget thing all the way) with their crew),
- added 11/8: Lewiston, Maine's WRBC, Montreal/Plattsburgh/Burlington's 99.9 The Buzz (# 7 during the Top 9 @ 9!), Columbia, SC's Channel 93.5 - WARQ, San Diego's Independent Radio 92.1 and 91X, San Fransisco's Live 105.3,South Jersey's 102.7 WJSE, Albany, NY's The Channel 103.1, Austin, Tx's 101X, Salt Lake City's X96, Rochester NY's 94.1 the zone, Iowa's 89.7 The River, London, Ontario's FM96, Toronto's Edge102 (on 'club nights' only at this point, "Island" and "Hash Pipe" are still in heavy rotation), and "Channel 1", the high school A-V program that is aired at many high schools every morning (damn, sounds kinda cool...wish i had that when i was in high school!)
- added/updated 11/9: Johnson City, TN's 95.9 KROK, montreal's chom 97.7 fm, Lafayette, LA's Planet Radio 96.5, Tuscon, AZ's 92.1 KFMA, Denver, CO's Channel 93.3, La Verne, CA's KULV 107.9 FM, vancouver's 99.3 the Fox, Gainesville FL's 103.7 WRUF, tulsa, oklahoma's 104.5 the edge, columbia, sc's channel 93.5 - WARQ, lexington ky's Z103, detroit's 89x (in the top 20 Hitlist!), Philly's Y-100 ('retired' from cage match as champ, #1 (!!!) on the Top 7 @ 8, ranked at 25 most played (hash pipe is still #6!), and San Diego's 91X.
- added/updated 11/10: Minneapolis' 770AM Radio K, Rochester, NY's WBER, Hawaii's 97.5 Kpoi (#2 in the top 10 requests!), Hawaii's Lava Rock 105.9 (all 3 singles in major rotation!), Hawaii's STAR 101.9, NYC's KROCK 92.3 (debuted at #37, now #5 on the Big 10 at 10, added to the nominees for Furious Five at Nine countdown), San Francisco's "Today's Hit music" z95.7, San Francisco's New Rock Alternative 'Channel 104.9', Chicago's 94.7, Long Island New York's 92.7/98.5 WLIR, Brownwood, TX's KHPU 91.7fm The Buzz, Chesapeake's 96X. Also, "Simple Pages" is in rotation on 107.1 In Champaign, IL.
- added/updated 11/12: new online radio station "Radio@Aol", Hawaii's 101.1 The Point, some "emo"-themed online station that Rivers and I were checking out, Cleveland OH's 92.3 X-treme Radio, Summit County, OH's 91.3 The Summit, Utica, NY's Krock (#5 on the big 10 at 10), Boston's WFNX 101.7, University of Wisconsin Eau Claire's on-line station WSRI, Santa Barbara's 92.9, KJEE, 88.7fm/64am Radio Noise Pollution, LSU Louisiana's 91.1 KLSU, DC's 99.1 WHFS, UW Platteville's 91.1 fm The evolution, Chattanooga, TN's 91.5 the Wawl.
- added/updated 11/16: NYC/Queens/Long Island's 92.7 WLIR (on the "Nine Oclock Knockout"), New Jersey's Kroq, Wai'anae, Hawai'i's 105.9 Lava Rock, College Station, TX's 103.9 the X, Fort Wayne, Indiana's X 102.3, Dallas's 102.1 the edge, Auburn University's 104.9 The Tiger, Wash DC's DC101 (on the New Music Mart), Ashland, Ohio's 88.9 WRDL, 95.5 WBRU, Johnson City, TN's 95.9 WRZK, Portland, OR's 94.7 KNRK, Vancouver, British Columbia's Z95.3, Winnipeg's Power 97 (in the "Power 97 Playoff"), Louisville Kentucky's 105.1.
- added/updated 11/25: South West Florida's New Rock 99x (is a "buzzcut"), Boston's 95.5 WBRU, NYC's 92.7 WLIR (also playing the Jimmy Pop Hash Pipe remix!), NYC'S 92.3 WXRK, NYC's 104.3 (the 'classic rock' station!), Hinsdale's (IL) 88.5 FM, Austin's KROX 101x (had a 'weezer weekend' last week), France's Grenoble Campus Radio (also play the 'weezer.com' version of "Always"! ...cool), #16 most played at LA's KROQ, NYC's Krock (now #6 in the top 10 at 10), Nashville TN's 102.9 The Buzz, hit #1 on the top 7 at 8 on Philly's Y-100!, Reno, NV's 100.9 KRZQ (played a 45 min weezer block!), Oxford MS's Rebel Radio 92.1, East Tennessee State's WETS the Edge, Pittsburgh, PA's 105.9 FM, 93X (at #16, Hash Pipe at #17), Salinas, California's New Rock 104.3 KMBY, Traverse City Michigan's 95.5 The Zone (giving away green albums!), Chicago's 94.7 (#1 on the top 9 at 9!), Columbus, OH's (unknown station) (playing weezer blocks on occasion!), Salt Lake City's X-96 (who are apparently calling the single 'Dont Let Go' while playing 'Photograph'!)
- other activity of note:
- In Ireland, "Island in the Sun" is in regular rotation on the main national radio station "2FM". In the UK the "Island" single is at #63. Have also heard great reports on "Island" from Spain and even Portugal!
- SF's LIVE 105.3 is playing B-side "Sugar Booger" on their 'sound check' program.
- on LA's Kroq Rodney on the Rock program, Rodney busted out with "O Lisa" and "Always."
- ...And THANK YOU to everyone requesting "Photograph"! Find out where to REQUEST "PHOTOGRAPH" AT YOUR LOCAL RADIO STATION HERE. And here is a grass roots fan's effort to help remind folks that "its all about the music"...(though, take note that radio stations tend to ignore "mass" email requests, preferring to hear your individual requests)
- NOT playing it (can they be swayed?): 93x in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota, Staten Island NY [103.5 ktu and z100], San Antonio ,TX's Mix 96.1 (apparently because their DJ, Tony, is "in the bathroom"...interesting excuse!), Electic 94.9 in Johnson City, Tn.
- ....and finally, here's a funny story about weezer's "airplay"...
- "Hello there! My name is Stephanie Dorward and I just wanted to share my
- little experience with you. It started on Monday when me and my friend were announcing that Wednesday
- was going to be "Weezer Day" at school. A few of our friends were planning
- on wearing our Weezer shirts and stuff like that. But I had a plan of my
- own. During gym class I faked a sprained wrist and asked to go see the nurse in
- the office, when really I had my Weezer Green tape in my back pocket ready
- to reveal to the school the wonder that is Weezer. I walked up the stairs
- and mustering up some tears holding my left hand. I asked for the nurse and
- was to wait in the lobby. I waited until the coast was clear and then got on
- all fours and made it to the announce room. Over the sound of Weezers newest hit: "Hello fellow classmates and teachers. This is Stephanie Dorward telling you all to phone every radio station and
- request 'Photograph'." [insert screaming teachers here] I'm not sure if Photograph was requested at all because my parents have locked me in my room for all eternity. Rock on." --Stephanie